Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Heads or Tails

This week Skittles called Tails. We are to post about where we were/what we were doing when we received news that our nation was under attack six years ago today.
I was in my classroom teaching my first group of students. In the middle of one of my sentences I hear a knock at our door. This is not unusual, and my thoughts were another teacher must have a question (I mean what did I know, it was my first year!!) When I opened the door to our classroom, I was surprised to find one of my parents (still remember this vividly and could call the child's and parent's name). She says "I need to get ****** we are being attacked". (Thank goodness she was in the hall and none of my students heard her!!) I had been in my classroom since our bell rang (at 7:40 Eastern time) so I had no idea what she was talking about. I responded with "WHAT, who is??" She replied "the United States". I immediately thought about my own child, Drew, (only 8 weeks old at the time). We didn't have time to talk as I had to get back to the rest of my students and my assistant. Our students headed to their activity a short time after this and my assistant and I were able to talk with staff in our front office (they had been watching the television). We were also able to watch a TV that had been moved into our workroom (kids aren't allowed in there). I remember staring at that TV in a blank stare like "this can't be happening". The same look was on every teachers' face that was in there while I was.
Still thinking about how horrific this all was, and not being real sure where the attacks would end I called my mom. She was off on Tuesdays at the time, so I asked if she would pick up Drew from daycare. We very rarely ask anyone else to pick up our children, but I wanted to know that my son was with family. I thought if I can't be there to hold him close, I wanted him with my mom. She went and picked him up. After school I picked Drew up from my mom and dad's house. I don't really remember anything else that happened that day. I know we watched the continuous television coverage and prayed a lot - prayed for the victims and their families, hoped that rescuers would find more survivors, and prayed for the families who didn't know about their loved ones!


This was a day in our history that we will NEVER forget! I am so thankful for our service men and women - those who were courageous on 9/11/01 and went into the towers (risking their own lives) to save others, and those who are fighting overseas presently.

8 comments:

Barb said...

I have read 43 posts like this now. And although each one is the same, they are also different.

I think everyone stopped that day and just stared at the TV at the unimaginable happening right before our eyes.

Yes, there were so very many heroes that day and in the days to follow.

Thank you for sharing your memories.

Theresa said...

I like skittles have been reading peoples blogs of this day- the common thread is prayers and loved ones. It really makes you remember what life is about.

Theresa said...

I like skittles have been reading peoples blogs of this day- the common thread is prayers and loved ones. It really makes you remember what life is about.

Rambler said...

like you said, we got to be grateful to all those service people and volunteers who really helped so many suffering people through the hardest days

Anonymous said...

What a beautifully written post! I know you must have been scared since Drew was so young....What a world we live in...

Andree said...

Your school (and you!) acted very professionally and it was gratifying to read this. I wish parents would consider the effect of their behavior on other people's children (like your student's mom's behavior). That would be one start to creating a better world.

Anonymous said...

I stopped back by to tell you that I've given you an award. Come take a peek! Have a great weekend!

Renee said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing. We will never forget that day!

Celebrity Collage by MyHeritage