Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Heads or Tails?

This week's topic is School - ahhhh one that's close to my heart.

I could go on and on about school - lol - wonder why? I think I'll start by mentioning one of my favorite teachers when I was in school. She was my first grade teacher and her name was Mrs. Turney. She was kind, fair, and made you feel like you were the most important thing in her classroom! She was always positive (at least in my memories), but she expected us to give our best on every assignment. She is part of the reason I chose teaching as my profession. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up - and now I have that wonderful opportunity! More on that later...

Another reason school is near and dear to my heart is because as of this year, both of mine are at the school with me every day! It is wonderful to be able to see school through the eyes of my children! You see it all the good, the bad, the ugly. My personal experience in school was a positive one (like you couldn't figure that out - would I want to be there every day if it wasn't). I got in trouble for talking (imagine that), but that was the extent of it. I love watching the reactions of my children as they learn something new, complain about homework (okay so maybe I don't love this one at the time), and talk about the friends they've made. Oh, to be a kid again...

I have the opportunity to go to school every day! It is such a challenging career, but I also feel it is one of the most rewarding! I get to make a difference in the lives of children, our future, every day! I thought I would share an acrostic poem:

S - students - Would it be school without them?

C - community - Schools should be communities made up of learners - where everyone learns.

H - helping - Helping each other be the best we can be (students, faculty, parents, etc.).

O - observant - Hopefully everyone in the "community" is observant of students' needs.

O - overachievers - I strive to have a classroom full of these - help students find a desire to learn, a desire to achieve!

L - love learning - In my book most important. I want my students to be life-long learners!!

WOW - this was fun!! Hopefully I didn't bore you too much! When it comes to school/learning I could talk ALL day!!

To see how others responded, or to get started on your own Heads or Tails, click on over to Skittles' Place. Thank you Skittles for another great topic!! Happy Tuesday!

5 comments:

Andree said...

I feel like you do about teaching. I am glad my own kids weren't there, tho! Wouldn't want them to hear the comments about me the other kids made (math teacher? yuck!). But it's the only job for me.

Shelby said...

this is wonderful :)

The Gal Herself said...

I tagged you for a meme. It's to select the 5 best nights of your life, so far. I think I know what 3 of yours will be, but I've been wrong about these things before …

BeccA's Buzz said...

I can see why you did such a great job on this post, I wouldn't expect less from you with a topic like 'school'! LOL I wanted to be a teacher when I was a kid. Then a secretary, then a nurse...LOL

Anonymous said...

what a great post!! I LOVE the poem :)

Celebrity Collage by MyHeritage