Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of School!

Today was the first day of school for students! It was Drew's first day of second grade and Mikayla was beginning kindergarten.

Mikayla reads Miss Bindergarten gets ready for Kindergarten the night before she begins!

Drew and Mikayla love coming into my classroom, so we stopped by there this morning before heading to their classes (I had to unload my arms anyway). Our theme this year is S.E.A.S - Successfully Educating All Students hence the decorations. Drew likes my "sharks"!

I didn't get upset like I thought I would when dropping them off in their classes this morning- I guess I didn't really have time. I thought of Drew and Mikayla often throughout the day and wondered if their first days were going as good as mine! They didn't really want to get up this morning, but once they were up they were excited - and nervous!
Drew and Mikayla pose in Mikayla's classroom - you can't really tell from this picture, but they were both nervous!

Mikayla poses with her teacher, Mrs. Batson. She is also my mentor and she also had the privilege of teaching Drew in kindergarten! I'm not sure what I would do without this wonderful lady!

Drew with his teacher, Mrs. Turner! She is a fantastic teacher, and I know she will be good for our Drew!

It seems like they both had a very good day! Drew came home with a smiley face which is always good news. When I checked with Mrs. Batson this afternoon to see how Mikayla's day went she said, jokingly "was she even in here". That's always a good sign - Mrs. Batson didn't have to call her name all day! Mrs. Batson did share with me something that Mikayla said that she and her assistant just hooted over. She said "mama, this is one you have to write down and save forever". I thought no better place to write it than here, and I hope it makes you laugh (or at least smile) as it did me! Mrs. Batson said when they were making their lunch choices this morning she called on the first 3 students but they were very shy, so when she called on Mikayla she thought she would answer. So Mrs. Batson said "Mikayla what would you like for lunch today cheese sticks, bbq chicken sandwich, or peanut butter and jelly?" She said Mikayla replied in all seriousness "whooaaa, my mama said I'm not eating with y'all today". I laughed so hard, and I knew exactly how Mikayla had gotten confused. I packed her snack this morning for the after school program and told her that she wouldn't need to eat that in class, she would save that for after school. She took that as "I'm not eating with y'all today". Our silly girl! Mrs. Turner said that Drew was shy - I wondered if we were talking about the same Drew? I am so proud of both of our angels - a successful first day!

No comments:

Celebrity Collage by MyHeritage