Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Two Little Fishies...

Drew and Mikayla LOVE swimming with their Aunt Jennie!
Just in the past 10 days, Drew and Mikayla have really surprised me in the pool! Drew learned to swim when he was four, and it looks as if Mikayla is following suit! She has swam without her float at least part of the time the last four days! She is a very determined little girl, cautious but determined. She many times will ask to leave her floatie off, but she is very careful (so far) about where she is in the pool. Unless mommy is directly by her side, she stays in the shallow end when she doesn't have her float on. She is actually getting very good, but I still feel more comfortable when she is wearing her float. By the end of the season she should be well on her way. Drew is like a little fish - he swims over water, under water, on his back, on the bottom of the pool, etc. His favorite thing to do so far this year is jump off the diving board (learning new "tricks" every day), gather "sunken treasure" with the goggles on, and do front and back flips. It has been so much fun spending the summers at my mom and dad's pool, and I'm sure these are times Drew and Mikayla will never forget. I am amazed as I think about how far they have come in such a short time - I didn't learn to swim until I was five or six. They have "swam" in the pool every summer since they were infants though and I know that has a lot to do with it!Drew's feet in the air as he does a flip in the pool. Drew is a wonderful swimmer and he is very confident in the water. Even with this knowledge I am always vigilant and attentive around the pool, especially this year as many times it has been just me and the kids. When it is just us, we always talk about what to do in an emergency before we get in. They know what to do, but I hope we never actually have to test their knowledge!! Mikayla swims without her float as Drew "dives for treasure". They amaze me every day! Drew has always enjoyed the pool as my "fearless" child. Mikayla, on the other hand as my "cautious" child, would cry and not let go of mommy the first few days the pool was open when she was 1 and 2 years old. Even then, she would eventually let go and "swim" around with her floats, but it would take her time to get used to it. To believe that now, only 2 years later she is swimming without a float and begs to go to the pool!!
Mikayla has also just learned to jump off the diving board without anyone catching her this year - last year she wanted someone to catch her to keep from going under. I have had the wonderful opportunity to teach many children how to swim - my sister, my cousins, friends, etc., but nothing compares to the fun I have had teaching my little ones how to swim!

No comments:

Celebrity Collage by MyHeritage