Friday, September 30, 2005

Our sick little girl...


Last weekend (this actually began Saturday), Mikayla was not acting quite like herself. When she woke up from her nap, I noticed that she felt warm. I asked her what hurts and she said "my tongue". I asked her to stick it out thinking she might have that hand, foot, and mouth disease (very contagious infection that leaves lesions/sore spots on your child's hand, feet, and mouth) because Drew has picked that up before from daycare. Not seeing anything that looked abnormal in her mouth, I asked her to point where she hurt. She pointed to her neck, so I asked "your throat hurts?" and she said yes. So, I went ahead and gave her tylenol for the pain and because she felt warm. Then, Saturday afternoon, she played with Drew like she always does so we thought maybe she was not going to need to go to the doctor. Then, we knew that something was surely not right when she did not want to get in the tub Saturday night. She had curled up in the recliner with her thumb in her mouth (she is not even a thumb sucker!). When we asked if she wanted to get in the tub, she would cry and say "no". This is not like her because normally if we say anything about the tub, she begins undressing!! We did manage to talk her into getting into the tub, then it was off to bed (though she didn't sleep well at all). Sunday morning, we decided since Drew and Mikayla were still asleep and I wanted to hear our associate pastor's last sermon at our church (he has been called to become the pastor of another church here in town), that Craig would stay with them while I went to preaching (9am-10am). When I got home, Mikayla was still asleep. I checked her and she was still warm. Craig took her temperature while I called the doctor. Thankfully our doctor's office is open until 12 on Sundays, which is one of the reasons that we chose them as our children's pediatrician. Her temperature was 101 and they could see her at 11:10. So I get her ready, and she and I took a trip to the doctors while Craig and Drew stayed here playing in the backyard. The doctor checked, and sure enough, Mikayla had strep throat. She was trying to tell us!! The doctor said we could do a one-time shot, or she could take Amox. 2 times a day for 10 days. When she said that, Mikayla said Mooommmyy" in a crying voice, and that was all it took. So we have been on Amox. since then. The good news is Mikayla was soooo much better by Sunday night, and was back to her old self by Monday morning.

No comments:

Celebrity Collage by MyHeritage