Saturday, November 17, 2007

Popcorn!


Our kindergarten classes always visit an apple farm each year for one of our field trips. This year, we visited a farm we had never visited before. It was a nice trip, and I learned something as well!! One of the gentlemen there told the story of "Johnny Appleseed" which I knew, but then he told us about popcorn. He said you could take the little ears that look like "Indian Corn" and put it in the microwave and it would pop. That's because it is actually popcorn. I had never heard of this before, and he even showed us an ear that had popcorn covering it (as proof that it would work, I suppose). I found this so neat that I vowed the next time I saw "mini Indian Corn" in a store I would buy some and try this at home. At Bilo a couple of weeks ago they had some so I was able to try it for myself.

I told Drew and Mikayla about it, so they were excited to watch it in the microwave to see if it really would pop.

Sure enough it works - popcorn! It tasted great as well. All natural - no salt or butter added! I want to take another ear to my classroom to show my students.

If you are going to try this at home, I will warn you it makes a mess in the microwave (you may have already assumed this). The mess was worth it when I saw the looks on Drew and Mikayla's faces!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow, how interesting!- yes I think it is worth the mess too.

Also sounds like a fun field trip for your school kids.

BeccA's Buzz said...

I think I've heard of doing that, but I've certainly never tried it. I love that you took photos of the kids watching the microwave! LOL (i just hope they don't get any ideas or 'interests' in what happens when we put things in the microwave LOL)

Hey, if you get a chance tonight, stop by and participate in the Give Me Five meme for this week!

Renee said...

Perfect timing...I am finalizing the Thanksgiving unit study for the boys tonight (for Tues/Wed)and this is going to go into it. They'll have a blast with this. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Nicole said...

I saw this the other day and for some reason thought I left a comment. Anyway, what a fun idea. I used to each preschool and have tried some pretty wacky and creative things.
This one I have not tried.

I will though!

Celebrity Collage by MyHeritage