Friday, February 24, 2006

Mikayla's first dance class

Yesterday was Mikayla's first dance class (scroll down a few post to see her in her dance attire). All the way to the studio we talked about how she was going to go into the class with the other little girls and mommy was going to wait right on the other side of the doors to her room (there the studio has a little waiting area because the children do better if mommies are not in there with them). She kept saying "okay mommy" and I was beginning to think this sure is easy - yeah right! In my mind I'm thinking she understands and she is going to walk right in with those other girls and I'm going to be waiting on her when she comes out. At first, that's exactly what she did. She walked right in with the other girls, but before the door was shut she came running out crying "mommy". So, I walked with her back into the studio hoping this would help. Ms. Andrea, her dance teacher, even started with a story to see if that would help. By the time the other girls started dancing, Mikayla still would not leave my side. Finally, she took a few steps away and was watching the other girls in amazement. So I stepped back into the waiting room and closed the door. At first, no crying and again I thought this is great. Then, I began to hear crying and she's saying "I want my mommy." So, I peek through the closed blinds to see what she was doing and Ms. Andrea was holding her and she had stopped crying. That's how the majority of the first class went. She would cry some, then she would stop, she would cry some more, then she would stop. It never got to be so bad that I had to go in and get her, or that Ms. Andrea had to bring her to me. After the class was over, I asked Ms. Andrea if she thought Mikayla was too young (she is the youngest in the class of 7). She said that she didn't think so and that it would probably just take her a little while to get used to it. She also told me that the times I heard Mikayla cry were the times that she moved away from her (I already knew this because every time I heard her cry I was up peeking through the blinds). That gave me lots of encouragement for next week's class. Craig gets the chance to take her next week as I will be at school until 5 with kindergarten registration. I can't wait to see how daddy handles his first visit to her dance studio!

No comments:

Celebrity Collage by MyHeritage